Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Business Schools

I have recently completed my postgraduate studies at a well recognised business school. Choosing the right degree is highly important when planning to work in management/strategy consulting.
Two factors, the subject of your first degree on the one hand and the length of your post-undergraduate work experience on the other hand should guide your decision. I make these points, because I want to emphasize that getting an MBA is, in my opinion, not always the wisest decision (in fact I believe that it only is if you come from a non-business related academic background).
So that unlocks a wide range of choices for all the business students who consider getting back to school to get a Master's. The next aspect to consider is: how can my degree help me land a job at a management consultancy?
The answer is easy: it should equip you with additional skills that can directly be applied to the work of a management consultant and that can also be used to market yourself in the application process. This leaves you with two choices: you could either select a programme that builds upon your existing strengths, so if you come from a mathematical/technical background, you could study something that furthers these skills, or you could study something that supplements your existing strengths, such as studying a softer subject when you have a very technical background.
I personally believe that the latter is the better choice, as it turns you into someone with a range of diverse skills and also demonstrates your ability to work in different contexts (which is what management consultancies are after), rather than turning you into an expert in one specific area.

No comments:

Post a Comment